I am spending a semester teaching at a school in Chennai, India and the teacher from Chennai is in my classroom in Hazel Park, MI. This was arranged through the Fulbright Classroom Teacher Exchange Program. We will be in Chennai until late January 2012.

Requisite Disclaimer: Hilary and I are not that tight. This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are my own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the U.S. Department of State.

To view my exchange partner's blog go to: http://kalavathykirupanandam.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Signing Off

My last day at Kendriya Vidyalaya Minambakkam was overwhelming. At the morning assembly, several students spoke about how much they enjoyed my classes. At assembly and all day long, students showered me with gifts, cards, cakes and well wishes. They mobbed me for my autograph; I felt like a rock star. They were smiling ear-to-ear and were genuinely appreciative of the time we have had together. The students in India demonstrate incredible affection for their teachers, which really crosses the line into adoration. The loftiness of the teaching profession is clear in the respect and admiration of the students.

Though India is incredibly diverse culturally, spiritually and socioeconomically, some things are consistent across the board. Appreciation for teachers is one. Patriotism is another. A few days ago, I was walking toward the morning assembly, quite late. A parent was a distance in front of me walking in the same direction. We were the only ones in the long hallway, but she did not know I was behind her. The national anthem began (just as it does each day at the end of the assembly), and the parent stopped walking to stand at attention. I stopped too. Not only did she stand with her arms straight at her sides, feet together and facing forward, but she also sang. Even alone in a hallway, she sang her national anthem simply because it was being played. I felt like I was eavesdropping on a private moment, but I suspect she would not have been the least bit embarrassed by her expression of love for her country.

I am so grateful to have had this opportunity to travel to India to get a little glimpse of life here. Adaptation is never easy, and many moments have been frustrating and difficult. But, even more have been touching, revealing and even hilarious. So many people have made an effort to make us comfortable. I cannot begin to express how much I appreciate the kindness of the friends we have made and the friends at home who helped as well. I know this exchange has caused a great deal of inconvenience on both sides of the globe. Please accept my heartfelt thanks as well as apologies for my errors, which have been many.

I have some great stories to tell, but the total of this experience is greater than the stories. From India, I can see my own culture’s values, prejudices, tendencies and habits in a way that is invisible at home. Every culture has its own strengths and weaknesses – and I have learned about my own as well as about India’s. India certainly has immense gifts to offer the world, and I am thankful to have had a chance to see them. The goal of diversity should be more than simple tolerance. I want to look around, see what works, and do more of that. It’s like tipping your feathers a tiny bit during flight. That small lean causes dramatic changes.

Best Regards,
Amy
Seventh Grade Boys

Seventh Grade Girls

Eighth Graders

Eleventh Graders

2 comments:

  1. Hey, nice site you have here! Keep up the excellent work!

    Gift to Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you a good deal with the Newest educators time Estimates. I will consist of this around my teacher’sec time language. For more happy teachers day solar day quotes you lavatory look into the situation.

    ReplyDelete