I am spending a semester teaching at a school in Chennai, India and the teacher from Chennai is in my classroom in Hazel Park, MI. This was arranged through the Fulbright Classroom Teacher Exchange Program. We will be in Chennai until late January 2012.

Requisite Disclaimer: Hilary and I are not that tight. This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are my own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the U.S. Department of State.

To view my exchange partner's blog go to: http://kalavathykirupanandam.blogspot.com/

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Classroom Pictures

That bench is less than four feet wide. Sometimes there are four students there.
Turns out that teaching 7th and 8th grade requires a different set of skills than teaching high school -- skills that I have not mastered, actually. However, at this point, we have come to a comfortable place. We are doing really well together and we are right on target for the curriculum. I have a couple students that need occasional behavioral reminders from the administration. The other day, I took a student to the principal, and when I left him to return to class, he was on his knees in front of the principal speaking quickly; it sounded like begging and pleading even though it was not in English.

Students with special needs are not given any accommodations. I can clearly see that some of the students have learning disabilities and are not capable of the work put before them. They are lost. (Lost student + lots of time sitting in class = behavior problem.) 

41 is a small class 48 is big.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, probably our entry may be off topic but anyways, I have been surfing around your blog and it looks very professional. It’s obvious you know your topic and you appear fervent about it. I’m developing a fresh blog plus I’m struggling to make it look good, as well as offer the best quality content. I have learned much at your web site and also I anticipate alot more articles and will be coming back soon. Thanks you.

    Gift to Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, nice site you have here! Keep up the excellent work!
    Gift to Chennai

    ReplyDelete