I am spending a semester teaching at a school in Chennai, India and the teacher from Chennai is in my classroom in Hazel Park, MI. This was arranged through the Fulbright Classroom Teacher Exchange Program. We will be in Chennai until late January 2012.

Requisite Disclaimer: Hilary and I are not that tight. This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are my own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the U.S. Department of State.

To view my exchange partner's blog go to: http://kalavathykirupanandam.blogspot.com/

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Happy Pongal

Pongal is a harvest festival to thank the sun for his generosity. The elementary students performed a pageant with dances and a story of Pongal, which is celebrated all over India. At 10 am Friday, an announcement was made that school was cancelled for Monday to celebrate the holiday!
I have one more teaching day before I depart for the US. The staff held a farewell ceremony to mark the end of my exchange, and I am grateful for all the patience and support I have been shown. I have felt like a first year teacher again, unsure of the procedures and expectations.
Telling the story of Pongal.

Girls doing traditional dance.

Boy's traditional dance.

The principal presents a gift from the staff.


Mrs. Malar, In the beautiful pink sari, has been my mentor at KVM.

No comments:

Post a Comment