I am spending a semester teaching at a school in Chennai, India and the teacher from Chennai is in my classroom in Hazel Park, MI. This was arranged through the Fulbright Classroom Teacher Exchange Program. We will be in Chennai until late January 2012.

Requisite Disclaimer: Hilary and I are not that tight. This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are my own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the U.S. Department of State.

To view my exchange partner's blog go to: http://kalavathykirupanandam.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Public Speaking

Imagine this is a US school: An optional speech writing competition for student in grades 7-12. Write and deliver a three-minute speech on a chemistry topic. No special prizes are offered, just the honor of winning the competition and then getting to present again at a regional competition. Not getting any imaginary takers, are you?
Well, in India, about a dozen students signed up right away. Then, when they realized they would get to read it into the microphone in front of the school during assembly, the number jumped to forty students by the end of the day. One of the teachers suggested that Aven read one. I said that was unlikely because the only thing Americans fear more than public speaking is death. She looked at me strangely.
Today, ten students waited eagerly to give their speeches. The vice-principal declared that only three speeches would be made today for the sake of time, but four people presented anyhow. We will listened to a few speeches each day this week. Anyone who does not present will have to present to me in the chemistry lab after school. (I am the judge.) They are very disappointed not to speak to the school. Several have stopped me in the hallway to see if I can pull some strings so they can be among the lucky few to speak at the assembly.
Seeing so many students eager to hear their own voices over the microphone, I realized again how culture is invisible until it is changed. I would have thought that adolescents inherently cringe at making a speech to their peers. No so.

No comments:

Post a Comment