I am spending a semester teaching at a school in Chennai, India and the teacher from Chennai is in my classroom in Hazel Park, MI. This was arranged through the Fulbright Classroom Teacher Exchange Program. We will be in Chennai until late January 2012.

Requisite Disclaimer: Hilary and I are not that tight. This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are my own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the U.S. Department of State.

To view my exchange partner's blog go to: http://kalavathykirupanandam.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ladies' Car of the Commuter Train

Harassment of women is more frequent and more acceptable than in the US. Only a couple generations ago, widows threw themselves on their husbands’ funeral pyres, and I am thankful for the progress that has been made for women. However, a Ladies’ Car is currently needed to reduce the opportunities for harassment. Women are permitted to ride the other cars, but generally only do so when they are with a man. Accompanying boys may ride with their moms in the Ladies Car into the early teen years; Aven is OK to be with me there.

One morning on the way to school, May, Aven and I boarded the Ladies Car with half a dozen women. Inside, the car was full of men. A woman leaned out to make sure we had not mistaken the car and then the train left the station. I think what happened is that a man or two mistakenly got on the ladies car at the first or second stop and then other men just got on. I suspect the men don’t read the outside of the car, but just get on a car if they see other men. One of the women went over to a group of four seated men and asked them to give up their seats because this was a ladies car. The men got up and some of us sat down. I figured I would just keep my mouth shut and see how this played out. This was an excellent anthropological moment.

At the next stop, more women got in. One young woman (early 20’s probably) announced loudly that the men needed to get in a different car because this was the ladies car. A number of men scurried off, but most did not. When the train pulled away from the station, she went around to all the men – who are seated in little groups on the seats – and told them they needed to change cars at the next stop. A number of women followed her around and stood with her while she gave her instructions. At the next stop, most of the men got off and more women got on. A few stubborn men did not move. Well, the young woman really let them have a piece of her mind before the next stop. All but one got off then. That last one got a good-old-fashion shouting and finger pointing session before the next stop. I thought we might start hitting him with our purses shortly. He did get off at the next stop – without apology. I particularly enjoyed the camaraderie and the congratulations that the women had once the last male was jettisoned. I told her I thought she had done a nice job – which she had.

When I related the story to my colleagues at school, one said, “Young women these days are very bold.” Yes, they are, and it is inspiring to watch. You go girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment