I am spending a semester teaching at a school in Chennai, India and the teacher from Chennai is in my classroom in Hazel Park, MI. This was arranged through the Fulbright Classroom Teacher Exchange Program. We will be in Chennai until late January 2012.

Requisite Disclaimer: Hilary and I are not that tight. This website is not an official U.S. Department of State website. The views and information presented are my own and do not represent the Fulbright Program or the U.S. Department of State.

To view my exchange partner's blog go to: http://kalavathykirupanandam.blogspot.com/

Friday, October 21, 2011

How to Make Photocopies in India

This is a special posting for my Hazel Park colleagues, who are struggling to manage with only one photocopier in a building for almost 1,000 students.

I compose a test and want to copy it. First, I have to print it out, which requires a trip to the computer lab where the printer is kept. No paper is kept in the printer, and the computer teacher has to be tracked down to get a couple sheets. After printing, I take the original to the department head, who is a teacher and is often unavailable. She has to accompany me to the exam room, where the paper is kept. She gets out the ledger where the paper consumption is recorded. She writes down 70 sheets for a test while I count the blank copy papers. Next, I have to take the original and the paper to the vice-principal, who is also a busy person. He has to approve and initial the paper. Then, I find one of the office staff because teachers do not use the copier. The staff member will make the copies and bring them to my room within an hour or so.  This process takes, on average, three days to complete. It requires at least 30 minutes with all the time spent finding people. Also, tests should be reused and everything is double sided. Students write answers on a separate paper. Most teachers don't make copies. They dictate  questions orally and students write the _questions_ and the answers. Basically, teachers do not copy anything during the normal course of teaching. All notes are written on chalk boards and many things are dictated. Students have extremely high stamina for writing. Whew!

P.S. Exams are all copied. The exam is written over a week ahead and sent out for copying.

No comments:

Post a Comment